Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is Free to Play this WeekDecember 17, 2020
Listen to this article
Following yesterday’s release of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, Activision announced that the game’s multiplayer mode will be free to play this week. Those who own Call of Duty: Modern Warfare can jump straight into the action during the Black Ops Cold War free access week, which begins today, December 17th, and ends at 10am PT on December 24th.
Black Ops Cold War – Free Access Week Stages
The free access week is broken up into two stages. Play through new and classic multiplayer game modes spanning 18 different maps.
Stage 1: 12/17 – 12/21, 10am PT
From December 17th to the 21st, players will be able to play the following Black Ops Cold War multiplayer game modes for free:
- Team Deathmatch: Classic 6v6 game mode where the first team to eliminate 100 opponents wins.
- Maps include Moscow, Cartel, Miami, Satellite, Checkmate, Garrison, Armada Strike, Crossroads Strike, Nuketown ’84, The Pines, and Raid.
- Domination: Classic 6v6 objective game mode where teams fight for control of three objective zones. The first team to reach a score of 200 wins.
- Maps are the same as in TDM.
- 2v2 Gunfight: The last duo standing after 6 rounds wins in this Warzone Gulag-styled game mode.
- Maps include Game Show, ICBM, KGB, and U-Bahn.
- Nuketown Holiday 24/7 playlist: Play a variety of game modes in this festive redesign of the Black Ops classic.
- Raid the Mall playlist: Play a variety of game modes across two different maps which share a cool 80’s aesthetic–Raid from Black Ops II and the neon-lit mall at The Pines.
Stage 2: 12/21 – 12/24, 10am PT
Stage 2 of the free access week begins on December 21st and ends on the 24th. This stage will allow players access to all of the above game modes and playlists in addition to the following:
- Prop Hunt: A hysterical hide-and-go-seek game mode featuring “Hunter” and “Prop” roles. A lighthearted Call of Duty favorite that’s sure to trigger some laughs.
- Combined Arms: Hardpoint: 12v12 game mode in which two teams fight to capture and control a moving objective across 4 maps, Armada, Crossroads, Miami, and Cartel.
- Fireteam: Dirty Bomb: Detonate bombs, eliminate enemies, and deposit uranium into several dirty bombs sites in the expansive Ruka and Alpine maps.
A Taste of What’s to Come
This free access week only covers the multiplayer aspect of the latest installment of the Call of Duty franchise. However, it will give owners of Modern Warfare a taste of Black Ops Cold War before they choose to dive in for the purchase.