Red Dead Online: Specialist Roles GuideDecember 24, 2020
Listen to this article
Red Dead Online encourages players to build their own story with five Specialist Roles: Bounty Hunter, Naturalist, Moonshiner, Trader, and Collector. The roles you take on determine the kinds of pursuits you can play through for monetary rewards such as cash and gold. Each role also unlocks its own unique set of abilities and items as players progress through the world of Red Dead Online. This guide outlines what each Specialist Role entails and how to obtain them.
Collector – Specialist Role
The Collector role is for the explorer who leaves no stone unturned in their search for rare items and valuable treasures. Looting can prove fruitful for those who take on this role when collectibles are turned in for profit.
How to Unlock the Collector Role
To become a Collector, you must purchase the Collector’s Bag from Madam Nazar, who spawns in a new location every day. The Collector’s Bag costs 15 Gold Bars.
How to Play as a Collector
Loot throughout the game world to discover new Collectibles. The Collector’s Bag will store and track your rare finds, which you can sell to Madam Nazar for a profit. She will also supply you with a Weekly Collectible Shopping List for greater rewards, including experience gains. Collectors can also gain Role XP by participating in Collector Free Roam Event and completing Daily Role Challenges, found in the Player menu.
Collector Progression Rewards
- Divination – Learn how to sense when Collectibles are nearby.
- Pennington Field Shovel – This shovel is perfect for archaeological digs.
- Potential – While using Eagle Eye, you can detect land that has been disturbed.
- Intuition – Teaches you to narrow your search radius.
- Collector Saddle Bag – A saddle bag with extra storage pouches and pockets.
- Refined Binoculars – Highlights dig sites from far away.
- Aguila Machete – A machete specifically made for Collectors.
- Metal Detector – Identifies Collectibles that are buried underground.
- Equine Assistance – Teaches you how to collect items while on horseback.
- Horse Lantern – Attaches to your horse’s breastplate and illuminates what’s ahead.
- Valuables Satchel Upgrade – Allows for more storage space in your Valuables Pouch.
- Witford Compass – A unique, decorative compass that hangs from the Collector’s gun belt.
Bounty Hunter – Specialist Role
The Bounty Hunter role is for those players who crave action in their Red Dead Online experience. Bounty Hunters earn rewards for tracking down wanted targets.
How to Unlock the Bounty Hunter Role
To unlock the Bounty Hunter role, meet the Legendary Bounty Hunter in Rhodes and purchase the Bounty Hunter License from the Sheriff. If the Bounty Hunter License is not immediately purchased, it can be bought at a later date from any Bounty Board.
How to Play as a Bounty Hunter
Find bounties at Bounty Boards located near train stations, law offices, and post offices. Bounties deal with a range of criminals from low level offenders to the wildest of outlaws. While wanted criminals may be killed or captured, bringing in live captures will grant better rewards.
Bounty Hunter Progression Rewards
- Focus – While using Eagle Eye, targets glow red.
- Reinforced Lasso – Bounties are kept secure with this fortified lasso.
- Reverse Spin – Learn this move for the pistol or revolver.
- Tonics Satchel Upgrade – Allows you to store more items in your Tonics Pouch.
- Eagle Eye+ – Track enemies while sprinting or galloping.
- Spin Up – Learn this move for the pistol or revolver.
- Kit Satchel Upgrade – Allows you to store more items in your Kit Pouch.
- Tracking Arrow Pamphlet – Teaches you how to craft Tracking Arrows.
- Ducking – Learn how to duck while riding a horse.
- Bolas – This throwing weapon helps you to capture targets.
- Bounty Wagon – Secure your targets in this wagon.
- Perception – Bounty notifications will be received from farther away.
- Alternating Flips – Learn this move for the pistol or revolver.
- Dual Gun Spinning – Learn this move for two pistols or revolvers.
The Prestigious Bounty Hunter License
The Prestigious Bounty Hunter License offers 10 new Ranks on top of the 20 original Bounty Hunter Role Ranks. Additionally, this License offers a bunch of high-level items and skills to obtain, as well as Infamous Bounty targets and more.
Naturalist – Specialist Role
The Naturalist role is for the animal lovers of Red Dead Online. Learn new skills and earn rewards for tracking, hunting, and studying animals.
How to Unlock the Naturalist Role
Talk to conservationist Harriet Davenport at the Welcome Center in Strawberry. You will need to pay 25 Gold Bars to access the Naturalist Sample Kit. Once you’ve done this, you will be able to buy Sedative Ammo from Harriet and start your Naturalist career path.
How to Play as a Naturalist
Collect research for Harriet by shooting animals with sedatives and drawing samples from their tranquilized bodies. These samples will go to your inventory and can be taken to Harriet to trade for Naturalist XP. You will earn more XP if you trade samples in sets. Additionally, you can also earn Naturalist XP by playing out Harriet’s Animal Sighting Missions.
Naturalist Progression Rewards
- Naturalist Variant Varmint Rifle – A cosmetic variant that can be applied to your Varmint Rifle.
- Wilderness Camp – An impermanent camp where you can cook food, craft items, and rest.
- Legendary Eagle Eye – Learn how to distinguish Legendary Animal trails.
- Animal Attraction – Increase your chances of finding Legendary Animals.
- Sedative Varmint Cartridge Pamphlet – Teaches you how to craft Sedative Varmint Ammunition.
- Mercy – Learn to Mercy Kill animals that are fatally wounded.
- Animal Focus – Narrow your Legendary Animal search area.
- Legendary Animal Pheromones Pamphlet – Teaches you how to craft Animal Reviver.
- Tonics Satchel Upgrade – Allows you to store more items in your Tonics Pouch.
- The Kennewick – Unique Naturalist outfit.
Trader – Specialist Role
The Trader role is for those players who are all about business. Sell Goods found in the Red Dead Online world from your own Camp to profit in this role.
How to Unlock the Trader Role
Collect Cripps’ letter from your Camp Lockbox or any Post Office. Then, read the letter before meeting up with Cripps in Armadillo to discuss business. If you do not buy the Butcher’s Table from Cripps during this meeting, you must purchase it from the Wilderness Outfitters in your Camp for 15 Gold Bars.
How to Play as a Trader
The Butcher’s Table is where you will manage your business, and you will need to keep it stocked with Raw Materials and Supplies so Cripps can work his end of the business deal, turning Raw Materials into Goods. Then you can sell your Goods by making low risk Local Deliveries or high risk Distant Deliveries. As with most things in Red Dead Online, the higher the risk, the higher the reward.
Trader Progression Rewards
- Stew Pot – A Camp upgrade that gives you core-boosting stew recipes.
- Ingredients Satchel Upgrade – Allows for more storage space in your Ingredients Pouch.
- Awareness – Teaches you to identify rival Trader Wagons from afar.
- Canine Warning – Allows you to train your dog to warn you of Camp Raids.
- Medium Delivery Wagon – An upgraded wagon that holds two barrels for transportation of Goods.
- Weapons Locker – Allows you to store weapons.
- Lance Knife – An exclusive knife for Traders.
- Efficiency – Raw materials gained from perfect carcasses are increased when donated to a trading company.
- Materials Satchel Upgrade – Allows for more storage space in your Materials Pouch.
- Large Delivery Wagon – An upgraded wagon that holds four barrels for transportation of Goods.
- Hunting Wagon – A wagon fashioned to carry numerous carcasses, pelts, and hides.
- Protection – Teaches you how to minimize Camp Raids.
Moonshiner – Specialist Role
The Moonshiner role is for those who wish to profit on their own underground brewing business, outside of the constraints of the law.
How to Unlock the Moonshiner Role
Becoming a Moonshiner is expensive, though this Specialist Role path has options. The smartest way is to first garner a reputation as a Trader, either by reaching Rank 5 in this role or by finishing a Trader Sell Mission. However, if you don’t care to take on the Trader role, you can also unlock the Moonshiner role early with Gold Bars. Regardless of the method you choose, you must also purchase a Moonshine Shack for 25 Gold Bars.
How to Play as a Moonshiner
After you purchase a Moonshine Shack, talk to Marcel in the shack’s basement. Here, you can tweak your brew’s qualities to your liking and see a list of potential customers. Running Sell Missions should help you turn a profit, but be sure to protect your product during these missions because buyers will not pay as much for damaged goods.
You can also speak to Maggie Fike to upgrade your Moonshine Shack, which will increase the quality of your spirits and therefore boost your profits. Also, Maggie offers Bootlegger Missions, which you can take on to lessen production costs and make your clandestine moonshine business worth your while.
Moonshiner Progression Rewards
- Bar Expansion – Allows you to construct a bar for your operation.
- Levens Gun Belt – A gun belt unique to Moonshiners.
- Sabotage – Teaches you to identify Moonshine Hideouts.
- Band Expansion – Allows you to hire a band to entertain your customers.
- Still Upgrade – Increases the strength of your brew.
- Flammable Moonshine – Alcohol that is not for human consumption, but can be used to light things on fire.
- Sawed-Off Shotgun Variant – A cosmetic variant of the Sawed-Off Shotgun made specifically for Moonshiners.
- Nevin Hipflask – A hipflask that hangs from the Gun Belt.
- Darrow Buckle – A fancy and unique belt buckle.
- Recipes – Helps you to craft a variety of moonshine flavors.
- Toxic Moonshine Pamphlet – Shows you how to craft Toxic Moonshine.
- Master Distiller – Reduces the time it takes to make a batch of moonshine.
Bonuses and Tokens
Each role offers Role XP as activities relating to that role are completed. This Role XP helps you to progress through the 20 Role Ranks, with a new tier at every 5 ranks: Novice, Promising, Established, and Distinguished.
Role Tokens are earned as Role Ranks are unlocked. These can be used to purchase a kit of items with each new tier.